- [21st cent.] copy of original dated 1854-1891 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Source of acquisition unknown.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Photocopy of a diary kept from 13 Oct. 1853 to [8 Feb.] 1855, while a student at Trinity. The daily entries record Belmore's activities: dining, attending church, visiting friends, paying bills, writing family and friends, hunting, playing tennis, walking, dancing, leaving calling cards, reading, and attending lectures. Friends mentioned include Lord Cavendish, Lord Dunglass, Lord Hervey, Lord Leveson-Gower, and Sir Ivor Guest. Visits to London, Eton, Enniskillen, and Ambleside are recorded during the holidays from Trinity. The last entry is followed by a list of members of the Athenaeum Club in Cambridge during the Easter Term 1854, apparently updated in Oct. 1885, followed by a list of names and addresses of other members of the nobility. A 'Whist List' at the back records losses and gains, and another list records the number of rabbits killed between 19 Aug. and 11 Oct. 1854. This is followed by a copy of an envelope dated 23 Nov. 1891 and a printed list of spirit licence applications in Newtown-Butler and Enniskillen in Nov. 1891.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Permission to publish should be obtained from the owner of the original material.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
The original diary is located in the library of Castle Coole, Enniskillen.
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Marson, Peter. Belmore, The Lowry Corrys of Castle Coole, 1646-1913, Belfast: Ulster Historical Foundation, 2007.
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Corry, Somerset Richard Lowry- (1835-1913), 4th Earl of Belmore (Subject)
- Cavendish, Lord Frederick Charles (1836-1882), politician, Chief Secretary for Ireland (Subject)
- Hervey, Lord Frederick William John (1834-1907), 3rd Marquess of Bristol (Subject)
- Gower, Lord Frederick George Sutherland Leveson- (1832-1854), son of George Granville, Duke of Sutherland (Subject)
- Guest, Ivor Bertie (1835-1914), 1st Baron Wimborne (Subject)
- Home, Charles Alexander Douglas- (1834-1918), 12th Earl of Home (Subject)