- 3 May  (Vervaardig)
Omvang en medium
Naam van de archiefvormer
Geschiedenis van het archief
Directe bron van verwerving of overbrenging
Inhoud en structuur
Bereik en inhoud
Undertakes to mention Myers' wishes in relation to the Moral Sciences Examination. Does not know 'who the other two [examiners] will be.' States that Mayor has been applied to. Is torn between 'a desire to get a good man and to do honour to the Tripos by getting a M. Sc. firstclass-man.' Says he 'quite accept[s Myer's] epithets for [D. G.] Rossetti's sonnets' which pleased him 'critically and classificatorily' since he discovered in Rossetti 'the "missing link" between Swinburne and Christina Rossetti'. Wishes Rossetti would write more.
Discusses Mozley's article on Modern poets in the Quarterly [Review], and claims that he is the first man 'who has spoken adequately of Clough.' Reports that there is a new edition of Clough in the press. States that he has not seen [Roden] Noel since he reviewed him. Remarks that 'that review has turned out unfortunate', and that '[R. H.?] Hutton likes the poems and therefore would have reviewed them...with his goldest pen.' Claims that he could not have said anything stronger in [Noel's] favour, and does not agree with Myers about the book. Declares that Markby 'is a little over enthusiastic about female prospects' and believes himself that 'the question is in a hopeful state.' Claims that 'there is no real conservatism anywhere among educated men.' Adds his opinion in relation to the use of 'esquire'.
Waardering, vernietiging en slectie
Voorwaarden voor toegang en gebruik
Voorwaarden voor raadpleging
Voorwaarden voor reproductie
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Taal en schrift aantekeningen
Fysieke eigenschappen en technische eisen
Bestaan en verblifplaats van originelen
Bestaan en verblijfplaats van kopieën
Related units of description
Part transcription in Sidgwick, Arthur, and Sidgwick, E. M, 'Henry Sidgwick'. London: Macmillan, 1906, p 196.
Mozley's article on modern poetry appeared in the Quarterly Review CXXVI (1869) p 352.
- Myers, Frederic William Henry (1843–1901) psychical researcher and essayist (Onderwerp)
- Mayor, Joseph Bickersteth (1828-1916) philosopher and classical scholar (Onderwerp)
- Rossetti, Dante Gabriel (1828–1882) painter and poet (Onderwerp)
- Swinburne, Algernon Charles (1837-1909) poet and literary reviewer (Onderwerp)
- Rossetti, Christina Georgina (1830-1894) poet (Onderwerp)
- Mozley, John Rickards (1840-1931) educator and mathematician (Onderwerp)
- Clough, Arthur Hugh (1819-1861) poet (Onderwerp)
- Noel, Roden Berkeley Wriothesley (1834-1894) poet and essayist (Onderwerp)
- Hutton, Richard Holt (1826-1897) journalist (Onderwerp)
- Markby, Thomas (1824-1870) Secretary to the University of Cambridge Syndicate for Local Examinations (Onderwerp)