- c 1897 (Vervaardig)
Omvang en medium
1 notebook with black cover; 54 lined pages. 1 handwritten letter (top right corner torn away), plus loose sheets of paper as inserts. Most pages loose; many blank.
Naam van de archiefvormer
Geschiedenis van het archief
Directe bron van verwerving of overbrenging
Inhoud en structuur
Bereik en inhoud
Draft [?] letter from Trevelyan, Roundhurst, Hazelmere, to 'My dear Censor' [Thomas Sturge Moore], with 'a few timid verses'; Trevelyan does not think highly of them. Has written 'a great deal of the longer poem', though is now 'a little stuck'. Is coming to London on Tuesday, and staying with [Edward] Marsh until Saturday; asks if he could stay with Moore in Highgate, as his other evenings are taken up with concerts. Has just received a notice for the "Dial" [Shannon and Ricketts' 'occasional magazine'], which looks good; is 'especially glad to see "Centaur" in it. Asks why there is only one woodcut [by Moore] in it. A version of "Archilochus, serving as a hireling..." [published in "Mallow and Asphodel"] follows, with many corrections in both pen and pencil; a note from Trevelyan at the end says that he does not like the 'end part, apart from its not being particular [sic] original'.
Two bifolia with draft version of "The Sadness of Neobule, when the Spring returning does not bring Archilochus with it" [published in "Mallow and Asphodel"]. Two sheets of paper with draft verses, beginning "Her bright authentic image", and "But a sudden wind..." [three lines only]. Three sheets of paper with drafts of the first part of "For a Fan" ["Mallow and Asphodel"]. Two sheets of paper with draft poems, first beginning "Ah! will Joy come back again..." and "Therefore to bright Aphrodite..."
Book contains various drafts of verse, and a small section of prose [f 12]. Trevelyan uses the book from each end. Six loose sheets from this book folded together, with poem, "Come little fishes, gather round my hook" [between ff 40-41]. Draft (incomplete) of "Epimetheus" [published in "Mallow and Asphodel"], 35r-28r.
Waardering, vernietiging en slectie
Voorwaarden voor toegang en gebruik
Voorwaarden voor raadpleging
Voorwaarden voor reproductie
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Taal en schrift aantekeningen
Fysieke eigenschappen en technische eisen
Bestaan en verblifplaats van originelen
Bestaan en verblijfplaats van kopieën
Related units of description
- Dimsdale, Elsbeth (1872-1949) health campaigner and politician (Onderwerp)
- Grosvenor Crescent Club (Onderwerp)
- Sturges, Jonathan (1864-1911) essayist and translator (Onderwerp)
- Philipps, Leonora (1862-1915) political activist and women's rights campaigner, wife of John Wynford Philipps, 1st Viscount St Davids (Onderwerp)
- Moore, Thomas Sturge (1870-1944) writer and wood engraver (Onderwerp)
- Marsh, Sir Edward Howard (1872–1953) knight, civil servant and patron of the arts (Onderwerp)
- Shannon, Charles Haslewood (1863-1937) artist (Onderwerp)
- Ricketts, Charles de Sousy (1866-1931) artist, illustrator, author and printer (Onderwerp)
- Guérin, Georges-Pierre Maurice de (1810-1939) poet (Onderwerp)